Justify Wins Preakness Stakes at Pimlico
The biggest race of the weekend - the second jewel of the Triple Crown - the $1.5 million G1 Preakness Stakes went down Saturday, May 19, 2018 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland. Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Justify survived a protracted duel with Good Magic and held on to capture the 143rd Preakness Stakes with a half-length victory over late-charging Bravazo Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.
Justify, who was sent to post as the 2-5 favorite in a field of eight 3-year-olds, was prevented from setting an uncontested pace as he did in the Derby when Good Magic broke alertly and took the early lead in front of the grandstand. Justify raced alongside Good Magic around the first turn and along the backstretch past fractions of 23.11 seconds, 47.19 seconds and 1:11.42 for the first six furlongs of the 1 3/16-mile classic.
The head-to-head battle continued on the far turn and into the stretch, before Justify and jockey Mike Smith emerged from the fog to establish a clear lead in deep stretch. Bravazo, who stalked the pacesetters under jockey Luis Saez, made a late rush at the Derby winner, only to fall a half-length short.
Justify ran 1 3/16 miles in 1:55.93 on a sloppy, sealed racetrack while running his career record to 5-for-5.
2018 Preakness Stakes Race Results & Payoffs
- $2 Exacta (7-8) Paid: $27.40
- $2 Trifecta (7-8-6) Paid: $296.60
- $1 Superfecta (7-8-6-5) Paid: $372.50
- $1 Pentafecta (7-8-6-5-2) Paid: $1,370.20
- $2 Daily Double (8/7) Paid: $4.60
- $1 Pick 3 (5,6,7,8,10,12,14/1,3,4,7,8,9/7) Paid: $7.50
- $1 Pick 4 (5/5,6,7,8,10,12,14/1,3,4,7,8,9/7) Paid: $43.80
- $5 Pick 5 (3/5/5,6,7,8,10,12,14/1,3,4,7,8,9/7) Paid: $84.85
- $2 Pick 6 (5/3/5/5,6,7,8,10,12,14/1,3,4,7,8,9/7) Paid: $41.04