Keeneland understands and appreciates the conflicting interests and priorities that have resulted in the recommended schedule of racing dates for the late summer and early fall of 2015. While we accept the decision of the Race Dates Committee for the coming year, the Commission needs to know that we will vigorously oppose any effort to make that schedule a template for future years.
The applicable regulation, 810 KAR 1:037, Section 5, delineates 10 factors to be considered in awarding race dates. Among those are:
(1) The types and dates of racing meetings held elsewhere, both within and outside of the Commonwealth;
(2) The effects that various types of pari-mutuel wagering have upon one another;
(3) The quality of horse racing provided at other racetracks; . . .
(7) Whether the assignment of racing dates will maximize revenues to the state; . . .
(10) The stability of the racing circuit within and outside the Commonwealth.
It is Keeneland's considered opinion that an August-September schedule of racing dates can be established which is far superior to the 2015 schedule in the following respects: synchronizing better with race meetings held outside and within the Commonwealth; minimizing negative effects on pari-mutuel racing with all of Kentucky's tracks; eliminating competition for horses and riders that diminishes the quality of racing at other racetracks; maximizes revenues to the state; and enhances rather than detracts from the stability of the racing circuit within the Commonwealth. Keeneland looks forward to working with the Commission, our horsemen organizations and the other racetracks immediately to craft a racing calendar that fully complies with 810 KAR 1:037 for the betterment of Kentucky racing for 2016 and beyond.
OTB Race Previews
Bet Greyhound Racing
- Earn Daily Cash Rewards - Win or Lose
- Hundreds of weekly Greyhound races
- Free Live Video & Race Replays